Telkom Life   ~  Music   |  Movies   |  Gaming

eSports Viewers Top 70 Million



New research from Super Data Research and Newzoo has shown that eSports viewship has doubled over the past year, and now reaches more than 70 million people from across the globe.

Out of the 71 milion viewers, 31.4 million are from the United States, with the male viewership dominating 64 percent of the audience. This makes 34 percent of the audience female however, which is much larger than a previous study, which had the female audience at below 10 percent.

The average eSports user watches 19 times a month for usually 2.2 hours, with the average age of viewers varying between 21 and 35. SuperData CEO Joost van Dreunen believes that there are multiple factors for the notable success:

“Large companies like Riot Games, Valve, Wargaming and Ubisoft are placing bets on the growing success of eSports worldwide. And with the booming popularity of streaming services like Twitch, ESL and MLG, it is becoming easier than ever for gamers to connect with other players and form communities that culminate in competitive gaming.” (Note: ESL does not have its own streaming service.)

40 percent of the viewership is seen to be “truly engaged eSports enthusiasts”, meaning that they participate in amateur tournaments and watch eSport content on a regular basis. The remaining 60 percent are the direct potential for continued growth in the industry, as more than half the viewers have yet to start taking part themselves.

The most interest fact about eSports enthusiasts has to be the fact that the average gamer has a 52 percent chance to be married versus the 39 percent that are single, giving hope to all us average gamers out there.

Peter Warman, Newzoo CEO, feels there is a direct correlation between free-to-play games and eSports:

“Long established in Asia, eSports and free-to-play, have now broken out of their niche and into Western markets. Does this prove there is a direct relationship between the two phenomena? At Newzoo, we believe so. Time spend and engagement have become equally important KPIs as money spend, and that is essentially what eSports delivers”.

Warman is definitely on point, and his observations can even be seen in the Telkom Do Gaming League (DGL), where the free-to-play eSports titles currently lead the board in terms of player entries. The current growth of eSports around the world is spectacular, and games like League of Legends have a predicted 42 million new players by 2015, solidifying the fact that eSports is here to stay.

With stream services such as Twitch.TV and MLG, eSports has become more available than ever to the average gamer, and the figures reflect that fact.

Source: OnGamers




Related Games